PhD General Information
The following guidelines apply for all PhD students at the DBM enrolling at the Faculty of Science of the University of Basel.
Every new PhD student at the DBM, who matriculated at the Faculty of Science, should contact me by Email email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Note: Due to the special situation, all documents (signed doctoral agreement, guidelines, PaC meeting protocol) can be submitted electronically.This situation, however may change in the upcoming months.
For ALL NEW doctoral students (and those registered after the fall of 2016) please read the information on the following links:
MUST be filled in and signed by First and Second supervisor, by the PhD Coordinator and by the Doctoral candidate and sent to the Dekanat (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Nicole Salvisberg within 2 months of matriculation.
NEW: Research Integrity Course
You may obtain some of your ECTs from course and lectures outside the regular Basel University courses, for example from scientific conferences and congresses (poster or oral presentation). This option however needs to be approved in the learning contract and needs to be done in advance. For details For details klick here
Student Services - Matriculation
Matriculation is compulsory for doctoral students at the University of Basel. Section 19 (6) of the University of Basel student regulations states that: “The doctoral student has to be matriculated at the earliest possible date and to remain registered for the entire duration of doctoral studies.”
Please note that matriculation at the University of Basel or at another university (within the framework of a cooperation scheme) is a mandatory requirement of your employment contract. Your employment contract will be terminated if admission to doctoral studies at the University of Basel or a required permit (residence or work permit) is not granted or extended, and/or if you fail to be matriculated within 6 months.
NEW Fall 2016: For matriculation one of the supervisors has to be acknowledged within the dissertation topic and the Faculty of Science, and has to confirm the application (letter to Student Services). Every structural professor of the Faculty of Science (e.g. Biozentrum) can serve this function. But, only a number of professors in the DBM are accredited - please see guidelines!
- Deadlines for registration and application
- How to apply (for PhDs croll all the way down)
- Doctoral Studies online application process
Matriculation step Important:
I. before you start matriculation
- read guidelines of the DBM PhD Program
- get in contact with the DBM PhD coordinator
- Who are your supervisors? You need 2 supervisors accredited by the Faculty of Science (we are in the Medical Faculty!), and one external expert – think in advance and see the information needed for a doctoral agreement!
II. Online application
- Student Services: approves the documents
- Transfer of the documents to the Promotionsausschuss (PA) of the Faculty of Science
- PA approves matriculation and asks for the signed doctoral agreement
- Deadlines for matriculation:
- January 4th for Spring Semester
- July 31st for Fall Semester
III. Documents needed: see details on the Website
Faculty of Science specific:
- title of the thesis
- Confirmation letter for supervision of dissertation: ask DBM PhD coordinator for advice!
DBM PhD Coordinator
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Science: Dean's office
Faculty of Science: PhD Regulations ect.
PhD Regulations of the Faculty of Science (Promotionsordnung)
Faculty of Science: List of Professors (Gruppierung I)