International PhD Program In Biomedicine
Our interdisciplinary PhD program is associated with the PhD program in Molecular and Cellular Biology offered by the Biozentrum. At present approximately 120 PhD students are enrolled in our program and carry out their research in one of 60 research labs affiliated with the Department of Biomedicine (DBM); these candidates will obtain a PhD degree from the Faculty of Science of Basel University. The Department of Biomedicine is affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine, greatly facilitating and promoting disease oriented biomedical research of the highest level.
In order to participate in the International PhD program in Biomedicine, interested candidates should contact directly the Head of a research group of the DBM. Once they are accepted, they can then enroll in the program, provided they meet the necessary requirements (see Guidelines and General Information).
Students admitted to the program receive theoretical and practical training, and conduct a research project under the supervision of research group head of the DBM as well as a DBM research group leader recognized by the Faculty of Science, monitored by a PhD thesis advisory committee (PaC). A rich program of courses, lectures, workshops and conferences organized by the Department of Biomedicine and the Biozentrum are offered to the students. PhD fellows attend yearly scientific meetings (DBM PhD scientific retreat) and have the opportunity to organize seminar series and career guidance events (see PhD Club).
- Very good command of spoken and written English (Cambridge level C2 or equivalent).
- A Master degree or diploma that must be approved by the University of Basel (Student Services).The Master degree course must qualify for the PhD program.
- Candidates must be accepted in the laboratory of a DBM Research group leader
- The applicant must be matriculated at the University of Basel.
Details are described in the PhD General Information.
get on track – for PhD students with family responsibilities
The Equal Opportunities Office would very much like to draw your attention to following, recent released new program of the University of Basel.
get on track is aimed at doctoral students who are parents and have proven family responsibilities. get on track supports the progress during the qualification phase.
get on track offers support options for a semester, such as:
- supplementary support for childcare
- hiring of a student assistant
- individual support within the scope of the available options.
Dates and deadlines
Applications can be submitted at any time.
The applications received are reviewed after the submission deadlines (1 April and 1 October). The support is offered for the subsequent semester.
- Support during the academic spring semester (1 February to 31 July) > submit by 1 October
- Support during the academic fall semester (1 August to 31 January) > submit by 1 April
Further information can be found in the leaflet, factsheet and application here: https://www.unibas.ch/de/Forschung/Finanzierung/Doktorat/get-on-track.html
We will be glad to assist you with any questions you have concerning the application process:
Career Advancement, +41 61 207 1287, Mariafranca Tassielli, getontrack-at-unibas.ch.